When taking alcohol, about a quarter of the amount consumed passes through the lining of the stomach, passes into the blood, and is distributed to the liver. The rest passes into the small intestine which assimilates it quickly.

Alcohol is eliminated mainly by the liver (95%). The remaining 5% is eliminated through the skin (perspiration), kidneys (urine) and saliva.

In the liver, alcohol undergoes 3 stages:

  • It is converted to acetaldehyde by an enzyme: alcohol dehydrogenase (DHA).
    Acetaldehyde is a very toxic compound that destroys cell membranes and therefore has harmful consequences for the body;

  • acetaldehyde is then metabolized to acetate by another enzyme: acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH);

  • the acetates are finally converted into acetyl – coenzymes A, the latter playing an important role in the fatty acid cycle and in the synthesis of cholesterol.

In case of excessive consumption of alcohol, another path of degradation is put in place, thus eliminating about a quarter of the alcohol ingested.

Regular consumption of alcohol, even at low doses, is dangerous for your health. Certified “carcinogenic to humans” since 1988 by the International Center for Research on Cancer, alcohol is indeed the second risk factor for preventable cancer in France.

According to the World Health Organization, a woman consuming 4 glasses of wine a day would increase the risk of developing breast cancer by 50%. When this consumption increases to 8 glasses daily, the risk is 130%. Alcohol would actually increase the rate of different female hormones in the blood and interact with their receptors.

Alcohol causes many diseases, including cancers. Thus, consuming 1 glass of standard size per day would increase the risk of developing esophageal cancer by 30%, oropharynx by 17% and breast cancer by 5%.

In total, alcohol consumption is responsible for the development of 200 associated pathologies. Among the most common, we can mention: hepatitis, cirrhosis of the liver, pancreatitis, peripheral neuropathy, cardiomyopathies … Consumed in excess, alcohol also has psychological repercussions, particularly by promoting anxiety, depression or even suicide.

Alcohol is totally prohibited for pregnant women because it passes almost entirely into the blood of the fetus. This can have irreversible consequences on the newborn. These may include skull and face malformations, stunted growth, and behavioral and / or cognitive delays.

The establishment of targeted detoxification is essential to support the liver, either after heavy alcohol consumption or during a regular intake.